Sbdn. Alan Lohanick
Subdeacon Alan (Elias) William Lohanick was born August 19, 1942, in Cleveland, Ohio, the only child of Alex and Mary (née Pipas) Lohanick. He was baptized at St. Theodosius Cathedral, where his parents had married in 1939. He spent his childhood surrounded by extended family he remained close to his entire life. He earned three degrees in physics, a Bachelor of Science from Case Institute of Technology, a Master of Science from Southern Illinois University and a Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut (Dissertation: Rayleigh Wave Interaction with a Growing Fatigue Crack).
While at UConn he met Jessica (Natalia) Klimko. They married May 30, 1971 at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in New Britain, CT. He remained devoted to her until his death.
Alan worked for the United States Navy for 20 years as a glaciologist, retiring in 1992. He began his work in the offices of Naval Research Lab in Washington, DC. His branch was later relocated to the Naval Base in Bay St. Louis, MS (1976-1986) and eventually moved to the Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (C.R.R.E.L.) in Hanover, NH. His work involved yearly trips to the Arctic, studying sea ice on ice floes several hundred miles off the coast of Alaska for weeks at a time. In 1992 he made his first and only trip to Antarctica, spending many months aboard the German icebreaker, Polarstern. He enjoyed telling stories of his experiences setting up experiments among curious and seemingly fearless penguins.
After retirement from the Navy he started AWL Research, working as an independent contractor on various government projects. His research papers are still widely referenced today. In 1994 he attended the Upper Valley Teacher Institute, receiving certification to teach Math and Science in secondary schools in New Hampshire and Vermont.
While living in New Orleans, Alan and his wife, with the blessing of Archbishop Dmitri (Royster), started St. Andrew of Crete Orthodox Mission. They worked tirelessly to keep the parish going for the 10 years they lived until the South, converting the formal living room in their home into a chapel and later relocating the parish to a storefront closer to the French Quarter. Alan completed several courses in the M.Div. program at St. Tikhon’s Seminary and was ordained a Subdeacon in 1984.
After moving to New Hampshire, the family found a spiritual home at Holy Resurrection where he served a number of years as choir director. He took this position very seriously, studying at the St. Vladimir Summer Music Program to develop skills in conducting and rehearsing. Alan was very handy. He enjoyed carpentry: building bookshelves, custom cabinets, and other beautiful pieces of furniture. He found enjoyment with various hands-on projects around the house and at church. If something needed doing, he figured out how and did it. His industrious nature was passed down to his children, Laryssa and Nicholas.
Alan’s passing (1995) was sudden and unexpected, but there was great comfort in the number of people who came to his side in his final hours to offer up prayer. “His soul shall dwell among good things, and his remembrance is unto generation and generation.”